Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snow


Wow what a weekend. It all started abotu 3 pm on Friday afternoon as the snow came down. My wonderful husband had been telling me for the last hour that I should head home. I am at times very hard headed and figured that I could make it... Well I did make it... 31/2 hours later. I actually left the office when my operations manager said he slid down MLK Blvd. It was slow and steady and some times stopped. When I finally got to the top, I stopped and picked up some essentials, milk and soda. There were several others that did the same. I got home as another down pour of snow let loose. It was a beautiful sight. Then came the mist the eventually froze on all the limbs and power lines. We lost power sometime in the night and had to use extra blankets... We thought we were in the clear later in the morning when the power came back on.. Our joy was shprt lived, it went back off. As quick as they could get power restored, another tree wold fall on the lines and snap them or the whole pole. It was quite an experience delivering papers. I went out with my zone manager. Saturday was ok, the snow was soft. We were able to get around pretty good. There was some sliding, but not bad. Today was a whole nother day. It started about 5:30 AM.. he came to pick me up so we could throw my route. There was a sheet of ice going across the road right where I needed to walk. Well I did pretty good and wham.. I was on the ground! We were laughing and i checked to see if I had broken anything. We went to pick up another carrier and ended up getting stuck in her driveway. Well we did a lot of pushing and managed to get out. We were headed down the mountain and saw one of our other carriers walking down... She had gotten stuck as well. We all went down the mountain and got papers. We headed back up and had to go under fallen trees to deliver the W road. We then managed to get stuck again.. this time it took one of our customer and the two of us to get us out of that one. At at the end of the route we got stuck again.. It was quite an adventure. There were power lines down and trees all over the place. There is still a lot of ice on the roads and some were still impassable. It was quite an experience over the last few days.. All that being said... I do not like snow unless I am in the house with power and a good movie. All the other drama can stay up north. Spring come quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment